- Development of a High performance BICMOS Front-End-of-Line (FEOL) integration platform for cost effective Multi Project Wafer (MPW) fabrication of space transceiver ePICs within a European foundry
- Fabrication of silicon modulator monolithically integrated with its driver IC and silicon receiver circuit integrating the optical demodulator, balanced detectors and TIA ICs.
- Fabrication of hermetic lasercom transceiver modules delivering >50 Gb/s aggregate bit rate, i.e. 20 times faster than current state-of-the-art lasercom terminals. These devices will represent a 16x times size reduction with respect to the current state-of-the-art pulsed laser transmitter for small satellite platforms built with discrete components
- Cost-effective MPW fabrication of >1W HP-SOA through monolithic integration within a European III-V foundry
- Fabrication and packaging of HP-SOA demonstrating 2 orders of magnitude smaller footprint than current space HP-OFA and >10x times more powerful than current commercial SOAs.
- Fabrication of compact, rad-hard-by-design fiber pre-amplifier array module using low-cost COTS Erbium doped fibers
- System integration of the miniaturized transceiver and HP-SOA modules in a compact and fully functional lasercom-mini-modem (LMM) platform and functional validation through system trials conducted by Thales Alenia Space
ORIONAS follows a bottom-up evolution in this 3-year development plan to deliver electronic-photonic engines, transceiver & amplifier modules and finally lasercom sub-systems that will hit the right C-SWAP targets of future satellite constellation lasercom systems.